View Single Post
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:41 AM
cni is offline
Find More Posts by cni
Registered User
Joined Nov 2008
26 Posts
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
the triangular sail set above the main gaff is called a "topsail"
I do not believe there is anything called a "yawl sail"
a yawl rig is a two masted sloop, by definition when the mizzen mast is aft of the
rudder post it's a yawl.if the mizzen is fore of the rudder post it's a ketch rig.
yawl or ketch, they set a triangular "mainsail" and that spar can be used to
also hoist a staysail or even a mizzen spinnaker.
I don't think a topsail will help in maneuvering at all, since a sloop rig ought to
tack efficiently through the wind without it. Racing or cruising a topsail will give
you speed ,especially in lighter winds.
Hello and... Sorry for the rigth name of the sail : i'm french and in french this sail is calling "flèche" or "grand flèche". It's difficult to learn the name of any part of a yacht in french, but in other language is ... !!!!

In fact, on a Youpi, the "top sail" is ok from 0 to 3 bft, when the wind is up, we down this sail. The effect on the boat : the center of sail plan back a little, but i can cruise... Some pictures for illustration :

When the wind is slow :

Whe the wind is "strong" :
cni is offline Find More Posts by cni
Reply With Quote