View Single Post
Old Jul 04, 2012, 05:57 PM
Find More Posts by Napoleon IV
Emperor of Speed!
West Country UK
Joined Jul 2006
189 Posts
God these pictures make me feel old! This is what we used to race 35 years ago in F3D. This is my racing partner Greg Ashton with a Phil Greeno Models Manneater. So called because it was designed to beat Alan Mann then a dominant racer in RC pylon in Britain. Greg had three of these. One ended up buried in the runway at Aston Down. All we found of the motor was the backplate and a small piece of crankcase screwed to the remains of the motor mount. The other met its end at RAF Fulbeck in Lincs. They were all powered by HP 40 rear induction motors. This was a good motor in its day. It was not unusual to have 50-60 entries in FAI pylon at the Nationals in the late seventies but the introduction of the tuned pipe killed both the participation and the HP 40. HPs with the old FAI muffler were a very easy engine to use if a bit noisy.
FAI mopdels of this era were large being based on the old American Formula 2 class but were easy to fly and land. They were 5 pounds in weight and about 58 in wingspan. The wing thickness had to be one and a half inches at the root. A good HP 40 with Clive Wall or Don Beaumont flying it were capable of low 1min 30s.
I took these photos last week when Greg cleared his attic out. This one made the semi finals at the Nats in about 1980.
Napoleon IV is offline Find More Posts by Napoleon IV