View Single Post
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,861 Posts
Shaped and sanded the first batch of blocks. I made a sanding tumbler by putting a sheet of sand paper in a cake icing plastic can after putting a bolt through the center of it's bottom. Mounted in a drill, I zip-tied the trigger to make it go as fast as it could and the blocks still tumble. I left this running as I worked on a serving machine.

The serving machine is based on a 1/4" aluminum rod I had laying about, and some plastic gears I had. The idea is as the rod is turned it's gears turn the gears on two portions of brass tube. The line to be serviced is threaded through these tubes and wedged in so it turns with the tubes. The rod turns and in turn, turns the line at both ends.
A spool of the thread that will serve the line feeds onto the line as it turns, wrapping it nice and tight. As a section is done, the wedges can be pulled and the line moved along through the tubes putting the unserviced portion on the machine - so any length of line can be served.

I intend to hand crank this thing - it shouldn't go very fast. What you see in the pics will be mounted on a base board that will have a place for the thread supply and something to keep proper tension.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Last edited by JerryTodd; Jul 05, 2012 at 08:00 AM.