Thread: Discussion ALES Integrated Into a TD Event
View Single Post
Old Jul 01, 2012, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Joined Nov 2005
3,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder View Post
I think that your last sentence hit the nail on the head. If you look at the ALES contest rules, it specifies a MOM format with launch altitudes controlled by use of a limiter. What we flew at SSC might be more accurately called a 'Limiter' class since it was flown in an open-winch format.

I think what we saw was how seamlessly and successfully winch and winch-in-the-nose can be integrated into a single event. The question I have been asking myself is how challenging it would be to integrate full MOM ALES and open-winch into a single event.

Aric, IMO, you are coming at this like some of the TD guys are coming at ALES style aircraft. In my book, we need to stop thinking that there is only "one" way to fly an ALES ship. The punchline is winch in the nose sailplane, not ALES, not TD, but all sailplanes. Who says that ALES airframes can be flown in other formats and scoring options (non MOM) and just like TD, there are many ways to split the hair.

Yes, ALES ships may be at a bit of a disadvantage in the landing circle for some, but if you like your ALES ships and could fly against TD guys in whatever format, why not? Thinking bigger is where I am headed with this, integrating all TD/ALES type soaring is good and strengthens the hobby.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is offline Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart