View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,162 Posts
I think I may try either a) a tracing; or b) Photocopying onto card rather than paper......

Build Update:
Well, there's been a slight hiatus on the build this week due to being away sur le Continent for three days on business. Too much work, too much food, a little more beer than is usual on weekdays at Blink towers.... The diet starts here

Just before I left I did join the wing panels; which is when I discovered the limitations of the 'dihedral template to angle the wing rib' method of construction - or rather my abilities with the method!!. With hindsight, perhaps I should have built the outer panels with inboard rib vertical and the centre section without outboard wing ribs, then joined the panels at the correct dihedral using just the braces, then added the centre section ribs...but hindsight will always be 20/20 vision!

I did try adjusting the dihedral by careful sanding, but felt the ribs were getting structurally compromised (ie thin!). So I have joined at the correct angle using the braces, and where there are slight gaps where the ribs don't completely lay against each other, I will insert some carefully crafted slivers of balsa to ensure integrity. I have also noticed that I still need to add some gussets to the left outer panel (too keen to make the wing one piece!).

The structure as shown weighs (IIRC) about 6g... I have no idea whether that is good or bad; but the real worry is that the electric and radio componentry is currently standing at 77g without connectors...........
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink