Thread: Discussion Molded DLG wing TE
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Find More Posts by samc99us
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
4,067 Posts
I'm willing to share and help whenever possible, but for the most part Tom and Phil are much ahead of me!

Putting disser on the inside still doesn't make sense to me. Outside is best structurally. The only advantage I see is you might be able to reduce a step, as you could bound the disser to the glass and the glass to the rohacell all in one process. The other potential advantage is a cleaner wing, as the disser strands won't go everywhere. But the trade off will be the potential extra weight used when wetting out the inner skin. In a perfect world the weight difference is 0, but since I pre-bag the very outside skin (skin on the mold surface), I pull any excess resin out. As I wrote the above I am seeing advantages to both methods. Enough so that I will have to experiment by building a wing each way.

I stop my rohacell 5mm before the TE. The inner glass stops here. The outer glass goes past the TE. I've only been hard rolling the rohacell but will be sanding to reduce cellulitise in the future. One trick I've found is to hard roll the rohacell next to the flaperons window, works fine although sanding may have better adhesive properties between the inner and outer skins, I can't tell.

-Sam
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us