Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
I never thought of this... presumably it's just the signal wire that needs to be held completely seperate?? Personally, rather than spend the money on the crimping tool (and my understanding is that they are quite expensive for one which does the servo connector size properly), I would chop up existing extensions and then simply solder appropriate wires together, thereby using 'factory crimped' ends...
Yep Colonel, that's exactly what I have done in the past with my "V" tail Simply the Best E400 models which have a servo in each tail half. I simply took an appropriate length of the multi-wire cable you can get from any computer spares shop, stripped off just four wires then cut the connectors off the servos leaving about an inch of wire on the servo and soldered both negatives to the black wire in the cable, both positives to the red and each of the signal wires to the two remaining wires in the cable, which happened to be yellow and orange. I then repeated the process at the receiver end, soldering the connectors removed from the servos and plugged them into the rudder and elevator channels. Of course, that is for ruddervator operation where the rudder and elevator channels are mixed at the transmitter, for the two elevator servos you only need one signal wire with both servo signal wires connected to it at the back and the three wires just soldered to the appropriate three wires on the connector cut from one of the servos and this plugged into the elevator channel. The joints in the individual wires are protected by short lengths of heat shrink, and then a larger heat shrink over the whole lot. In the case of the E400 models this saved the weight of about four feet of wire in total.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer