Thread: Discussion Sky Surfer aka Bixler FPV
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by Maddmax
United States, TN, Lebanon
Joined Jun 2011
579 Posts
New Build

Thought you guys might be interested in my latest build. After crashing my previous plane into the river, I ripped the wings off of it in a subsequent crash. So, while waiting for some new wings to come in, I decided to build a new plane since it needs to carry an expensive camera. I decided to relocate the tail servos to the rear of the plane for better weight distribution and to allow more room up front. This plane is strictly for LOS flying only for 1 mile or less. The nice thing about this camera is it is much lighter than a Gopro and does not have that fisheye look to it. Having it mounted high also eliminates the nose from the videos.

I also covered the wings and tail in vulcan 3mil thick clear film. This adds to the ridgidness of the wings tremendously. Barely any flex. Also installed 2 other progressively smaller carbon rods inside the main spar with Gorilla glue for added strength. The wings are glued in place as will as carbon rods through the top of the plane thru the wings to the bottom of the plane where the screws would normally go.

The plane details are:

- Microdan 2800kv motor
- 6x4 prop
- 36A Thunderbird ESC
- 2200mah battery
- 4x HXT900 servos
- Replay XD1080 camera
- Dragonlink TX and RX
- Wings and tail covered in 3mil vulcan clear film
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax