View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by dawsonh
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
4,029 Posts
Chris:

Great video! I need to get a nice big ship like that so I can fly BEAUTIFUL BIG AIR ACROBATICS like that at Greens Peak... our only site an AZ that has that sort of landscape.

Regarding exposure: Your problem, as you probably know, is that your camera is auto exposing the scene as you shoot. The sky is so much brighter than the ground. The camera is compensating accordingly... stopping down in the brightness and opening back up in the darker stuff. If your camera had manual exposure you could pick the best compromise exposure and live with that.

You can fix it in post production doing what Phil said. You may not need to cut your video into "chunks." I use Final Cut Express and it lets me apply a brightness/contrast filter to a whole video clip; but gives me an adjustment curve that lets me apply different brightness/contrast settings to different parts of the clip. This is nice since it lets me smoothly blend in the brightness/contrast adjustments.

The down side to the post production solution is that is takes a lot longer to render the movie file.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh