Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:41 PM
Find More Posts by D Hughes
Wasserkuppe wannabe
Central coast NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2006
108 Posts
New idea for Servo drum tension

Thanks peter,

Agreed the ratio between the servo drum and the freewheeling drum on the other side would be quite large. Initially I though that the servo drum would be pencil diametre or a little larger to make the freewheeling drum move a quarter of a rev.

Anyway, I was just driving down the F3 to sydney when I had another idea this morning. You could probably dispense with the outer free wheeling drum and simply use two pulleys mounted on small sliders mounted onto a rail either side of servo.

Each of these sliders is attached to each other using a simple line that goes around a pulley mounted at the far end of the slider. This line attaches both sliders , so as one pulls in tension towards the servo it pulls the slack side away from the servo.

Being linear in movement should mean that you will get more travel away from the drum servo for the side that is slack. The unit is simply driven by the side that is in tension. The original arm idea being radial in movement would not give as much movement away from the servo as a linear one could. I'm using big drum servos so I don't think overloading is going to be a problem.

I don't know if this has been done before, if so someone please say so and give me feed back, does this system look like working? I don't think it will eliminate all the slack but it may greatly reduce it. worth a try?

regards,
David H
D Hughes is offline Find More Posts by D Hughes
Last edited by D Hughes; Jun 26, 2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: add title