View Single Post
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by atlav8r
Cumming Ga
Joined Apr 2002
2,947 Posts
Hi,
CA is an acrylic resin the only trigger, or catalyst, it requires are the hydroxyl ions in water. Since almost any substrate you may want to glue will at least have trace amounts of water on it's surface CA will adhere to most anything.
However, as most balsa has some moisture in it the CA sets up quick. Foam on the other hand has no moisture and as such an accelerator needs to be used in most cases.

Lots of help here
http://mercuryadhesives.com/MercuryFAQ.htm
Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyManxx View Post
I recently cracked the leading 3 inches right next to the fuse on the left wing of my PZ P47 Thunderbolt. I have successfully used this same bottle of foam safe CA in the past in similar circumstances.

This time, however, the glue simply won't dry. It has been 3 days now, and the exposed CA is mostly dry, but when i press the crack together, tacky CA still squishes out.

I did not use any sort of activator (i hadn't in the past either) and I'm guessing that's where I went wrong as this CA relies on moisture to set.

Hindsight is good and all, but is there anything I can do to get this CA to dry? Would applying activator or water to the exposed CA do anything? It's not looking like any moisture is getting in there, so will this stuff ever dry?

Aside from buying a new wing, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
atlav8r is offline Find More Posts by atlav8r