Thread: Build Log Revell Gato 1/72
View Single Post
Old Jun 24, 2012, 04:29 AM
Find More Posts by tchalfant
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
508 Posts
Since I have been testing the sub for open water, I have knocked off do-dads and broken fine things off the conning tower (which a very wise man told me would happen).
The railings are very delicate looking and I wanted to see if I can make them in brass.

There are curves in the railing on the conning tower, so to create a guide to make the railings, I filled the inside of the railings with potters clay. Let it dry.
Name: Brass_Railing_001.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 143.4 KB
Description:
Removing the plastic part, you can see there is a nice channel to put the wires in.
Name: Brass_Railing_002.jpg
Views: 96
Size: 144.9 KB
Description:
This is a learning time for me. I can solder with a torch, but soldering with a soldering iron is tricky. I am sure practice and time will help, but if you have any tips, I would love to learn more! Here are the parts I made. There are blobs of solder that I will need to clean up.
Name: Brass_Railing_003.jpg
Views: 137
Size: 171.2 KB
Description:
I am tired and will do the fitting and clean up tomorrow (maybe), my biggest desire is to get her in the water for more tests and learning how to control the Gato better. I have been working on the running lights and how the CT is held onto the deck. This might change the trim, tests will tell.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant