Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by North_of_49
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
9,519 Posts
Bushwheels v2.0

I meant to post this last night but fell asleep

I made a second version of my bush/tundra tires/wheels yesterday from some Du-Bro Super Lite 2" wheels. First let me say that there was nothing really wrong with the T-28 ones... I just decided to take the diameter down a hair and round them off where the "tread" meets the sidewall to look more like the real ones and buggered one of them up making it smaller than I wanted in the process of trying to fix it. My local hobby store didn't have any more in stock so I bought the Du-Bro ones to use as a base to work on.

First, this is how my version 1 Parkzone T-28 tires turned out after I decided to shape them yesterday but wrecked one of them and the left one also ended up smaller trying to fix it...

Name: bushwheels-v1-mod1-1.jpg
Views: 169
Size: 102.0 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v1-mod1-2.jpg
Views: 181
Size: 95.7 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v1-mod1-3.jpg
Views: 158
Size: 103.0 KB
Description:
Name: bushwheels-v1-mod1-4.jpg
Views: 153
Size: 78.9 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v1-mod1-5.jpg
Views: 264
Size: 76.2 KB
Description:

Like I mentioned, my LHS was out of stock on T-28 landing gear to start over... could have bought the Hobbyzone 48" Super Cub wheels and reduced their diameter (same as T-28 wheels but taller) but this particular store was closing right away so I went to a different one and bought these...

DUB200SL
Super Lite Wheels - 2" (2)
Name: dub200sl.jpg
Views: 156
Size: 9.6 KB
Description:

... I bought ones that were larger than what I needed, with the intention to remove the tread and shape them down to what I wanted. If you remove the plastic hub you'll get a much more scale looking bushwheel with a smaller inner hole diameter to mount on smaller hubs... like the real ones

http://www.akbushwheel.com/

I ran the wheels on my belt sander using a drill bit as an axle and using the sander like a treadmill to spin the wheel while holding another piece of sandpaper against the tire for tread removal and initial shaping which only took about 10 seconds. Then I finalized the shaping just by running them on the belt sander by itself... where just the friction of that finished the tweaking.

(EDIT: you could also mount the wheel in a drill, drill press or rotary tool to spin it while holding a piece of sandpaper against it... I have a couple of ideas on how to do that... one would be before removing the hub, the other would be after.... pm me if you're interested).

The shaping process...

Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-1.jpg
Views: 198
Size: 102.6 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-2.jpg
Views: 196
Size: 114.5 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-3.jpg
Views: 198
Size: 112.5 KB
Description:
Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-4.jpg
Views: 186
Size: 110.8 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-5.jpg
Views: 230
Size: 143.9 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-6.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 144.8 KB
Description:
Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-7.jpg
Views: 215
Size: 96.8 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-8.jpg
Views: 211
Size: 123.4 KB
Description:

And the final result. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the gray color of the Du-Bro foam, but it's growing on me... looks weathered and more scale. I could take the diameter down a bit so they would look wider, like the real ones, but I think I'll leave them for now. Again, like my version 1.0 tires, I put them on right over the stock Champ wheels/tires for a more scale looking small hub...

Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-9.jpg
Views: 179
Size: 126.2 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-10.jpg
Views: 185
Size: 124.9 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-13.jpg
Views: 174
Size: 104.1 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-mod1-15.jpg
Views: 202
Size: 93.1 KB
Description: Name: bushwheels-v2-1.jpg
Views: 191
Size: 81.4 KB
Description:
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; May 23, 2015 at 01:37 AM.