View Single Post
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by rjtw
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Feb 2012
228 Posts
Yeah, me too Fizz! Thanks for all the nice comments you've made along the way.

Been totally swamped at work so not much happening on the airplane -- but getting close to finishing up the primer on the tail surfaces. I decided to prime them before mounting, because I wanted to be able to use my long flat sanding blocks on all surfaces. From past experience, once those tails are mounted on the fuselage, I just don't get the results I like because I can't block sand across the entire span. So the plan is to get them essentially ready to paint, cut the slots on the fuselage to accept everything, scrub away primer to get a good glue joint, glue on and then touch up the joint area. I will say I'm happy with going straight to primer after putting on the glass; the weave is super easy to fill. I'm sure I'm saving weight over using an extra coat of resin to fill the glass, and I know after doing that on the wing that I'm saving a whole lot of extra sanding time.

Now for the fun stuff. I was really inspired by this log. Just discovered it yesterday:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748854

It's a 200MPH+ electric custom Reno-like racer. Beautiful airplane and astonishing speed. Looks like it was running the Neu BAM on 9S and a custom 8.8x10 prop. So why not aim a little higher for the Toni?

That sent me back to Motocalc. With a 1115/1Y or similar motor (1900kV) on 4S turning a 7x8, I'm at about the same speed as the 1.5Y I discussed earlier on a 6x5 (mid-160s pitch speed, but I'm more comfortable that it'll get there with the bigger prop). A 7x10, 196MPH. A 6.5x10 shows 207 MPH. And using less amps then the 1Y too. Or for over the top, go 5s with a 6.25x9... 231MPH. I like the additional variety of configurations the lower kV gives -- mild to wild!
rjtw is offline Find More Posts by rjtw