: Build Log
Mini Micro Fokker D-VI
View Single Post
Jun 18, 2012
, 07:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
Time to grab a tissue...
Now for the tissue part.
This is the first time I've tried to combine tissue and foam. I think it has a place in modeling here as it offers options for compound curves and simulates early or fabric covered aircraft with little addition to weight. The trick is I think to get the finishing product, in this case paint, to be compatible with both surfaces.
The tissue I used is general craft store or gift tissue, and the paint... water based poster type acrylic paint. Low cost safe items.
I had tested the acrylic paint thinned with isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol applied via airbrush and was pleased with the result. Attractive, good coverage and durable. I wiped the foam board clean with alcohol and dried it prior to painting. Amazing the dirt that came off what appeared to be white clean foam!
View all Images in thread
Built some fuselage side mockups for tissue testing.... round one; tissue applied.
Water shrink, so far so good.....
Dissaster ! The acrylic alcohol mixture did not like the tissue!
Mockup number two. This time I got it right...paint transition line between foam and tissue looks acceptable (to me) and the tissue look adds charachter. Minor wrinkles are okay, another water shrink might remove them but I'm satisfied. If you look at win
The mockup sitting next to the fuselage.... has potential!!