View Single Post
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
30,169 Posts
Gary,

Don't look at Frames and Holds to find brownout data! That's like asking your altimeter to tell you how fast you're going. If you want to know about power problems, look at the voltage data instead.

If your power problem is so severe that it kills the telemetry, there's not much anybody can do. That's a blackout, not a brownout! It takes power to transmit telemetry, and it is being sent at the same time that your servos are being updated. You need to have adequate power there for that to happen. It doesn't have to be perfect, but it has to be reasonable.

OTOH, the fact that the numbers are reset to 0 (after being non-zero) while in flight IS telling you that you have a power problem because your receiver is being reset.

The fact that the power glitch is so bad that you aren't getting telemetry data when you try to move the servos is telling you there's a HUGE power problem. If you can change it from huge to manageable, then you can start to use the telemetry to help you debug the problems.

If you suspect that there really is a big power problem (it sounds like there is), then you might try powering the telemetry separately and see what happens. You'll need to make some special cables to do that, but you can measure what's happening on the servo bus during those problem times if you use the "flight pack" input to monitor the receiver.

I don't know your skill level. Can you figure out how to do that wiring yourself? Or do you need one of us to draw it out for you?

I'm heading to bed now. I'll check back in the morning. If you need me to draw it out I'd be happy to do that.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor