View Single Post
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:17 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
4,165 Posts
Here we go.....

I have sort of decided to cut my own ribs - partly due to the hardness of the wood in the kit, partly because of some of the crushing during the die cutting process, and partly because I may put one or more upper spars in - probably 3/32" square. I remember my old Ajax had severe tissue sag between the ribs, and even at that tender age I realised that the aerofoil section would be somewhat compromised anywhere but at the ribs.... Additional spar(s) would also add strength to handle the extra payload of the batteries and radio and the additional aerodynamic forces due to being controlled, but for little weight penalty.

What I am not sure about is whether to add two upper spars at about 25% and 66% of chord, or one above the main 1/4" x 3/32" and add a shear web. Perhaps my learned friends have some thoughts???

The other thing is when I compared the die cut rib to the dotted outline on the Albert Hatfull plan, there was not a good match. 'Nay problem' sez I, 'There's a 'typical rib' shown on the Amerang plan...'. Even worse a match!! Anyone any suggestion which would be best - or anyone know what section Mr Hatfull would have most likely chosen? Then I could plot it out for myself........

Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jun 13, 2012 at 01:48 AM.