View Single Post
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
Electriflier is offline
Find More Posts by Electriflier
Watts Matter?
Electriflier's Avatar
UK, South Yorkshire
Joined Feb 2011
482 Posts
Build Log
Scratchbuild 80" WS Depron Vulcan B2

Probably going to get into bother with the moderators but I have moved this build log from the 'scratchbuild foamies' forum to here. My last two threads were here in the scale section. This build, although in depron, is being built very much with the scale aspect in mind so, here is where I think it is best suited.

After a year away from building, the desire to get out the building board has returned!
Friends have asked when and what the next build will be. I think the seed for this one was I fancied trying combining conventional building methods with modern materials like Depron. I’ve built many depron models in the past, parkjets, shockies etc but they’ve all had flat section wings and box-like construction fuselages. I scoured the web and flicked through a few books and one aircraft kept calling. The mighty Vulcan!

Firstly, I cannot claim bragging rights on this build as it has already been done, and done well by Glenn7e.
Credit where credit is due, this guy came up with some brilliant ideas and innovative solutions when he did his build.
If mine comes out half as good as his, then I’ll be more than satisfied. So, on with my attempt……

Day 1
Well, I say day 1 but the past two days have been spent studying the 3 view drawings of the Vulcan.
Kindly supplied by Glenn, the drawings were emailed to me as tiled A4 images. Rather than possibly build – in discrepancies or innacuracies by sticking loads of A4 tiles together, I spent a few hours in my favourite drawing package and reassembled the tiled images back into one large image. Once I had completed this, I took the whole file to my local printers who plotted them off on A0 sized sheets.
Sized to Glenn’s original 80” wingspan, soon realised that this thing is larger than I imagined. Nevertheless, 80” is the size it’s going to be.
Bearing in mind that the whole model will be constructed from 6mm Depron with 3mm Depron skinning, looked for areas on the drawings where the 3mm skin would need additional support from additional formers.
Nose and Battery Holder.
This is one clever bit of thinking by Glenn. The battery tray, which will become part of the main fuselage slides into a box section within the nose of the aircraft.
My compass cutters were not big enough to cut out the cockpit formers so I had to nip out and buy a cheap set of compasses and substituted the pencil with a slim modellers knife. The formers and the profile cockpit shape (side view and top view) were cut from 6mm depron as were the component parts for the battery compartment.
As a rule of thumb, unless I state differently, I will be using UhU Por Foam-Safe contact adhesive on this build.
I glued the sides and bottom of the battery box and then sanded lightly to ensure the edges were clean and flush. I forgot to mention that I’m using a ‘mat cutter’ for cutting any straight cuts during the build. The cutter ensures a 90 degree cut so butt joints are much better than free-hand cutting with a straight edge and modelling knife. The mat cutter can also cut at 45 degrees. It cost about £10 and included spare blades. I’ll let you know how I get on with it but early indications show it to be spot – on .
So, day one over. Not a lot to show for my efforts but satisfying nonetheless. I can see the build throwing up many challenges but that’s what I enjoy about building.
Electriflier is offline Find More Posts by Electriflier
Last edited by Electriflier; Jun 10, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote