View Single Post
Old Jun 09, 2012, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by OwlPic
United States, MA, Tyngsborough
Joined Jun 2010
353 Posts
Removable Wings

Having spent several hours studying the detachable wing ideas, I think I see a problem. It manifest it's self as a broken Carbon-fiber (CF) rod.
1) Velcro doesn't hold the wings in compression and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
2) A rubber band only on top or bottom of the wing pulls the wing up or down respectively, which allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight.
3) The forward leading edge stress on the wing opens a gap at the front intersection of the two wing halves and allows a small gap and thus stress to form around the rod during flight stress.

It seems to me the solution is to attach rubber bands (2) near the front edge of the wing on both sides.
AND attach rubber bands (2) in the center of the wing, over the CF rod on both either side. Also put tough-tape over the slots in the wings where the servo wires run.
Reinforcement of the fuse's wing slot over the rubber bands seems like a good idea.

The only advantage of velcro is to allow a poor but safe landing if all 4 bands broke, but that is not likely.

Your thoughts?
OwlPic is offline Find More Posts by OwlPic