View Single Post
Old Jun 09, 2012, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Rotozuk
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
6,397 Posts
Well, I think the Speedo Pro has it's place, and I'm impressed by the smooth Aerobatics cody did in his Video. He pulled some nice VTPR like smooth aerobatics with it. It might be well targeted to that market.

The airfoil they are claiming is a good section, and should turn a bit of speed, but it doesnt really like ballast, so you probably aren't missing much anyhow.

A little wing flex is OK in my book. Makes it more "scale" like. And if it flexes and doesn't break, then it is a good sign that they got it light, but strong enough. I have not heard anyone report a wing failure in air, so you are probably going to be fine, but it may not be the rip roaring plane you had hoped for.

As for the smaller Speedo and ballast.. We had some MOM races a couple of weeks back, and I was flying a light brand new Speedo with no ballast. The lift and wind were good, and I was kicking myself for not having any ballast ready to go, but it did not become and issue as I tied for first, and no ballasted Speedos made it to the final. (Pretty sure that was the case.) So yes, the unballasted 1.2 Speedo works well.

On that same note, I have a friend that was flying his stock wings Speedo with 750 grams of ballast in HUGE lift with the lead sleds. I was amazed how well it was pumping the stall turns. Sure the lead sleds were much faster and pumping twice as high, but no stock Speedo would have flown at all in these conditions. All was going well until the landing when the plane self destructed. The only thing that survived was the socked fuse. All radio gear, and all balsa was ripped from the plane. LOL - RIP The fuse will fly again.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky @ Toledo 2015!!!!