Find More Posts by Zor
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbackus View Post
Is this saying you are better off with the engine mounted true (zero down, zero right), and mixing a little elevator and rudder to your throttle via electronic mixing?

--Jeremy
--Jeremy,

I thought I was pretty clear in my previous posting.

Left / right thrust and up / down thrust are effective in flight; obviously not on the ground .

We normally want our model to fly straight and level at a specific power setting and with the elev and rudder being neutral. Neutral meaning in line with the stab and fin.

The CG location is also entering into the setup.

If no side or vertical angle is used then any tendency of the model to veer away from straight and level can be partly compensated with using side and verical thrust angles.

It can also reduce any required trim with changes in power settings.

So to find the angles needed can only be done while flying.
Of course you do not make the changes while flying. You fly to find out in which direction the angles are needed and how much.

Some mention of accuracy was written in previous postings. These side or vertical angles are a compromise and can only be accurate at only one specific speed. That speed will vary with the angles.

Experimentation is the only way for a flier to find what he likes best in terms of his model behavior and his style of flying.

Aerobatic models that are constantly controlled and that are expected to fly upside down and on edge as well as right side up do not use any thrust angles. The angles remain at zero.

We have to understand and visualize all the aerodynamic forces on the model to fully understand the necessity or the non-necessity of these side and vertical thrust angles.

I cannot go into all these details in a forum posting; sorry for that.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)