View Single Post
Old Jun 03, 2012, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Paul J. Harris
Raleigh, NC
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
Well Underway

Well, guys, I finally have enough progress to post some of my implementation of the electric conversion of this great model. I'm lazy, so I went with the same basic power system as Staggerflyer, RimFire 120 on a 5s lipo. I wrestled a long time with battery placement. I really didn't want to cut a hatch in the cover in front of the front cockpit, knowing I would really goober it up. I also didn't want to lay them out in the open in the forward cockpit like Big Lacy did. There is nothing wrong with either approach, but I wanted to try something different. Here's what I cam up with:

Picture 1: I cut an opening in the floor of the forward cockpit.

Picture 2: Looking through the opening, and through the bulkhead to the back of the firewall, you can see a slight lip running across the back of the firewall. Note that the opening in the bulkhead has had the lower corners squared to provide the rear support for the battery box, which will be inserted at about a forty-five degree angle.

Picture 3: This is the battery box shown at the approximate angel it will be at once in the model. The vertical support will bolt to a bulkhead in two places. It has 75 amp APPs secured to it.

PIcture 4: Battery box shown with battery secured and connected. Leads shown are for a battery charger. Installation will have 10 gauge wire.

Picture 5: Battery box about to go into forward cockpit. Actually, you have to insert it through the lower wing opening and assemble the rear post once inside the fuselage.

Picture 6: The battery box has a blind nut in the surface that lies against the back of the bulkhead. The bolt near the bottom of the firewall engages that blind nut and secures the battery box in place against the firewall.

Picture 7: Once the battery box is installed, the battery slides over the back edge of the forward cockpit opening and into the box, shown partially inserted here. I'll probably make a plywood hatch with a pilot attached that is secured by Velcro.

Picture 8: Once the battery box is installed, the battery slides over the back edge of the forward cockpit opening and into the box, shown partially inserted here. I'll probably make a plywood hatch with a pilot attached that is secured by Velcro.

I have no idea how this is going to work out CG wise, but will probably put as much electronics as far forward as I can. Even if dead weight is necessary, I'm not too concerned, as I don't ever intend to fly this plane in any manner other than scale.

Paul
Paul J. Harris is offline Find More Posts by Paul J. Harris