Thread: Build Log SIG Riser 130 rebuild
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2012, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by planepainter
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,033 Posts
Thanks Paul. The thing has an amazing glide that you just would not believe. I set it up for my down wind landing approach and it barely loses any altitude all the way across the field. Thank goodness for those flaps!!

The plane has three flap settings. Off (of course) mid and full. Drop in full position and the plane looks like it has hit a wall but it just hangs there and lands very slow under perfect control. My OLYIII lands much faster but it has spoilers and the wing tip is much thinner. It just has a faster wing. I will try to include a photo so you can get an idea of the tip sizes on the two aircraft. The blue tip is the OLYIII. Remember, the Bud Riser ( the name I chose to go with) is only half an inch wider in wing span than the OLY.
The plane turns to the left with almost no effort. But right turns are a bit slower. Today we flew the plane with the improvements I did last night and it really helped. But I think the plane suffers from a slight down warp in the outer half of the right inner panel. It was there when I originally built the plane almost four years ago- the first kit I had ever built. I will admit that I did not build it as flat as the rest of the planes I have built. Just a learning experience. I might be able to twist in a bit of washout in the right tip.
The OLYIII is just a faster plane. It is just different. Just a bit more agile. But It is nice to run the Riser up there and let it fly for an hour without hitting the throttle again. Makes for a very relaxing flight. It just does not want to come down. At that size it is very easy to see at altitude.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter