View Single Post
Old May 29, 2012, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by bgriggs
Make something. Anything!
Syracuse Hancock, New York, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,024 Posts
Helping Students Build a CNC Router Table

I recently helped Students make a CNC Router table. I (Bill Griggs) was invited to advise the S.U.N.Y. Morrisville Mechanical Engineering Technology programs with the Capstone project assignment. The project assignment was to design and build a CNC Router table for manufacture. The M.E.T. program focuses on Engineering with an eye towards manufacturing. Students learn the design, engineering and machining skills needed for a career in manufacturing.

My neighbor told the instructors about my machine (a highly modified Joes CNC 4x4 Hybrid with my own design Rack & Pinion Z axis). They asked to come and see the machine and that later turned into an invitation to advise on the engineering project at their college.

I worked with three groups of students and the instructors to complete the CNC Table. Each team was responsible for the design and construction of one axis of the machine along with other shared team assignments. We provided the students with a sets of plans for the Joescnc Hybrid and a set of plans for my Warp Drive Z axis. Based on these two designs the students were then given a set of additional criteria and asked to design a machine to fit those specs.With some mild coaching from the staff and I work progressed nicely.

There were many bumps along the way but the teams pulled it together and came up with a really solid design. I was very happy to be involved in the project. I learned at least as much as the students did. It is not every day you get to play with a Haas Machining center, Bridgeport mills and lathes.

If you would like a bit more info on this project you can check out my blog post at http://www.makermasters.com/students...c-router-table. There are also links to some videos of the project there

Capstone Project - Students Make A CNC Router Table (10 min 18 sec)

Bill.
bgriggs is offline Find More Posts by bgriggs