View Single Post
Old May 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by 43851E
College Station, TX
Joined Jul 2009
882 Posts
Well, Mr. Ken, I read your recommendation of not using the 1/8th inch plywood after I had already CA'ed it in. One thing for sure, it will be good & strong!

I'm also looking at that rear wing section. I believe I can see a week spot where the fuse stiffeners terminate at their rear with the "stick" part of the fuse continuing on. I'll take a picture. Not sure exactly what the fix will be, so waiting on your recommendation Sir.

Good news-
The wing is fixed. I tried a trick. Placed the wing in the sun wth some wet paper towels on the top (the side w/ the splitting & delaminating 1/16" balsa sheeting. The sheeting expanded, closing the gap(s). What ever the origional builder used to stick the sheeting to the foam core is still tacky when warmed in the sun. It all went fairly quickly. I realized that the sheeting wanted to re-stick to the foam, the glue is kind of a contact cement looking and acting compound. I guess it is "foam-safe". So when I realized this, and the gaps were closed for the most part, got out the medium CA and away I went. I have to say that due to the dryness of the balsa on this old kit, CA soaks up really well. It's all sanded and looking promising with no blisters, all stuck down. The wing is cooled off now for about 3 hours & still looking good. I'm thinking of brushing on a urethane clear coating or something that will retard the balsa from "breathing", and keep it in it's current condition. On the other hand it might be fine, but it's 40+ y/o sheeting. Making some end tips. Man the aerofoil is wierd with an undercut on the underside TE. Bob Nelson @ SIG was right when he mentioned "unusual airfoils used". I'll post a pic of the wing tip cross section from the plans as it's quite interesting looking.

More on the wing: The TE has a concave radius that accepts the aileron's LE. The hinge point will have to be inset into the aileron's LE. On the print, SIG shows using a stacked design assembled hinge from 2mm nylon sheet. I'll include that pic as well.

Thinking monocoat instead of the silkspan. It will be lighter. Opinions??

More soon-

DC
43851E is offline Find More Posts by 43851E