View Single Post
Old May 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,861 Posts
Caps off to you

Made the caps. They're 5/16" thick at 1:20 and I happen to have 5/16" plywood scraps all over the place. Had to find some without a void, that done they're cut to rough size, with the rake angle in the fore and aft ends; then touch on the sander.

I marked the center-lines and figured out where the holes go. Propped a board on the drill press to the rake angle and drilled the holes first with a 1/4" bit, then 1/2".

I slipped the scroll saw blade through the tenon hole to cut it square, propping it up by hand and cutting by eye. Then I fined it up using a triangular file.

One of the caps lost a chip of veneer behind the square hole, which I expected. squared off the spot and glued in a dutchman. I probably should have drilled everything first, and cut to size after, but I figured any bits that came off the plywood that I filled would be stronger. On the foremast cap there's two 1/16" holes in the back of the cap for stays coming from the main topmast - the sliver of oak I glued in is right where these holes are, so this works out better in the long term.

It quit raining, sort of. It sputtered to a stop like it was running out of gas, but the sun peeked out here and there, so I slipped the boat out for a couple of photos in natural light.

Two yards of Supplex are on order for the sails.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd