View Single Post
Old May 12, 2012, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by JerryTodd
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,861 Posts
Based on the capture from the video, I removed the metal tape which wasn't thick enough, and used bass to represent the iron banding and the V strap between the pumps.
Name: pri20120512a.jpg
Views: 67
Size: 86.9 KB
Description: Pumps Name: pri20120512b.jpg
Views: 64
Size: 89.0 KB
Description: Pumps

Then I started making the foremast.

Checking all the plans I determined that neither mast had any measurable taper and at 1:20 scale was 15/16" in diameter from deck to hounds.

The bird's mouth calculator, to make an 8 sided mast with 1/4" thick staves called for the staves to be .358" wide, or just a fuzz under 3/8".

I sliced off 1/4" strips off left over cedar from Constellation's masts and spars, then ripped them down to just under 3/8". Then it was over to the router table to cut the bird's mouth. I wish I had a way to do the with a saw - I think it would have come out more accurately, but the router's what I have.

None of the pieces is the full length of the mast, so there's a butt joint or two in each stave, but I made sure they were all staggered with plenty of overlap.

Then I glued them up and wrapped rubber bands around the spar every 3 inches or so. When that set up, I made a plug for the bottom of the mast that was about 6 inches long and stuck out about 5/8" to act as a tenon for the mast step.
Name: pri20120512g.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 84.3 KB
Description: Trimmed to length Name: pri20120512f.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 66.4 KB
Description: Mast tennon Name: pri20120512h.jpg
Views: 65
Size: 110.7 KB
Description: Oak mast step

Using a block plane, I made the mast 16 sided from about 2" above the deck to the top. Then I knocked off these corners and sand it round.
I painted the 8-side lower end, which includes the bury and tenon, and I stained the round part with golden oak stain.
Name: pri20120512j.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 50.5 KB
Description: Stain and paint

The top needs a plug and then to get shaped square with a tenon for the cap. The whole spar is 37-3/8" end-to-end and between the cedar and this method of construction, is so light I'll need the rigging to keep it from floating away.
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd