View Single Post
Old May 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Paul J. Harris
Raleigh, NC
Joined Aug 2008
19 Posts
Ship Has Come In

Now that I have received the ARF kit, I am very impressed with the overall quality of this model. Before accomplishing any actual assembly, I need to determine how I am going to mount the battery and what servos I am going to use. I would like to switch to digital, metal gear Hitecs, as I have a programmer. However, I am pretty sure I would need to install CC's 20 Amp BEC Pro to handle six or seven digital servos going all at once. I wonder how the additional draw of digital servos will effect flight times using Gens Ace 5s5300? Any feedback on this subject greatly appreciated.

As I understand it, Big Lacy put his series batteries in the forward cockpit to offset the additional weight of the Power 110 motor. Staggerflyer dropped his straight down behind the firewall by creating a hatch, and presumably, that worked well with the Rimfire 1.20 that I will probably use. I am working on a compromise that involves a 'hatch' cut in the 'floor' of the front cockpit with ramp that will slide the battery at an angle forward and down against the firewall. The CG of the battery will not be quite as far forward as Staggerflyer's installation, but he did feel that he was nose heavy. If I have to add weight to achieve balance I don't have a problem with that as I do not intend to fly this model 3D. I will post some pictures of this installation when I get a chance.

I am planning to use APP connectors (75 amp) on my 5s batteries and the ESC. Since this is my first venture into giant scale EP, I should probably build a Safety Plug from the connectors, but I am not familiar with accepted practice for wiring this. Presumably, it is just an interruption in the positive lead to the ESC? If using the onboard BEC then all power would be interrupted, but if using an external BEC, then the receiver and servos would be powered as soon as the battery is connected, but the ESC would not come online until the plug was installed?

Thanks for any help,

Paul
Paul J. Harris is offline Find More Posts by Paul J. Harris