I drilled the pilot hole for the shaft from the inside with a 1/8" bit before all the deck beams and stuff went in. Now I needed to open it to 1/4" but couldn't go at it from inside. So, I went and got a 16" long 1/4" drill bit. That done, if anyone needs something drilled from the next room, let me know.
The speed control came in today; a Traxxas 1260 rotary type. It and a new battery got a tryout almost immediately. It has three speeds forward and reverse and connects right to the head of a servo.
I taped the hole outside the sternpost and punched a small hole in it. Then I stood the hull up on it's transom so gravity would help get the J.B.Weld get where it needed to go.
Taped over the end of the stuffing box and pushed it into the hole and through the tape on the sternpost. I used the shaft to hold the shaft aligned with the motor. I also glued in a beam to steady the inboard end of the shaft.