Thread: Build Log Canterbury J #551
View Single Post
Old May 07, 2012, 12:07 AM
poltergeist is offline
Find More Posts by poltergeist
Registered User
poltergeist's Avatar
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
811 Posts
Deck

Finally tackled the deck install. This was stressful on my V32 build, so I expected it to be here as well. Thanks to Ed Crowell, I made a tracing of the beam locations etc, to use as reference after the deck went on. Never would've thought of that, but should prove very helpful. Also took his lead and lined the inside of the boat with paper towels to collect any dripping epoxy.

I decided to use threaded eyebolts for the jib tack pivot and backstay, so I made some threaded aluminum plates that were epoxied in while the deck was off. This gave me a way to hold the deck into place on the centerline, then I just taped the edges down with LOTS of strapping tape. Same way I'd done my V32 in the past. After it was all taped down, I inverted the boat on a folded up blanket to let the weight on the boat help push to deck into place, and also to allow the epoxy mix to flow "up" (or down depending on how you look at it) into the hull to deck joint.

After overnight cure, I peeled off all the tape (including the blue tape used to protect the hull, deck surfaces from squeezed out epoxy), and rough sanded the edge of the deck to match the hull. Then with measurements from my template, cut out the main hatch and the rudder access hatch. Still need to clean up the cutouts and finish sand the hull/deck joint, then should be ready to fair/prime/paint.

So far the hull, deck, servos (no sail arm), rudder, receiver, batt pack, and some (but not all) of the deck hardware weighs 12lbs-7oz

Sorry for being long winded...just happy to make some progress this weekend.
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Last edited by poltergeist; May 07, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote