View Single Post
Old May 05, 2012, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by aspencer80
Herndon, VA
Joined Feb 2006
174 Posts
Discussion
Getting back into the hobby after a 6 year break. What has changed?

After graduating college and moving into a smaller place I got out of flying my airplanes. I finally have some space now to store and fly them so I want to get back into the hobby.

How much has changed in electric flight in 6 years? It seems now that most people are using 2.4 GHz radios instead of 72 MHz. If you've got a 72MHz transmitter (as I do) is there any reason to spend the money to switch to 2.4?

How about batteries? I hope they have dropped in price and increased in performance but I don't have a clue. I actually flew my Twinstar airplane this morning for the first time in years using the same old lipo battery I had years ago. I'm sure the battery performance dropped off from when it was new, but I couldn't tell.

What website do people use to shop online? I used to use Tower Hobbies, but it looks like it hasn't changed much since then. I would like a sight with more features like customer reviews, rating systems, intelligent navigation and sorting, and multimedia enhancements. Is there an amazon.com equivalent in the rc airplane sphere?
aspencer80 is offline Find More Posts by aspencer80