View Single Post
Old May 03, 2012, 01:01 AM
Find More Posts by hookpilot
Joined Oct 2004
1,509 Posts
Thanks for Input on Ventilating engine room

My main cabin has a volume of over 2000 cubic inches. The boiler will probably be a Macssteam 3.5" model. It will be easy to remove some of the glazing on the 32 windows and 4 doors in this area. All the decks are light ply, so I'm not worried about heat buildup over the boiler. I'll insulate the boiler and the walls and overhead area of the boiler. A simple CPU cooling fan would probably be an easy add-on and cheap insurance to keep things cool and remove any butane/propane gas buildup. I'll be building a simple box structure with the same dimensions and openings to test over the boiler in steam and measure cabin temperatures and ensure proper airflow to keep the boiler lit. I can then adjust things to take care of heat buildup. Ambient temps here in Western Washington will be moderate so I'm not too worried about that. My other concern is steam's safety record using butane type fuels. From what I've gathered, fires are rare events if piping, etc., is built tight. Any experience out there with these issues???

Mike
hookpilot is online now Find More Posts by hookpilot