Old May 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
8,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhebbel View Post
The walkera ESC is rated at 40a and my new Align is 35a and runs much cooler with no problems at all even with my heavy payload...
Is the Align ESC's BEC a switching BEC? A linear battery eliminator circuit reduces voltage from the battery basically using heat. So a linear BEC will heat up no matter what and a switching BEC should always run cooler. But coupled with the peaking near 60A load on the turboace motor I will be upgrading to a hobbywing 60A ESC because it is the best deal i have found so far. I only ordered another stock walkera ESC because i didn't want to wait for shipping from china. I'm not patient at all. So I installed a heat sink on the stock ESC and it is only moderately warm after a hover only flight. It also cools down quicker after the flight, which was the main goal. I have no doubt with this heat sink in the rotor wash i should be able to fly many flights with no issue or overheating. But none the less, a new ESC will eventually be ordered for this and my 4f200. Today my v120d05 with a turboace 214 motor lost thrust on the rotor so i landed it and checked the battery. 3.89v but the ESC was a little hot. I let it cool, hooked up the same battery and flew the rest of the pack with no problems. So I might need to look into a better ESC for this as well.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk