Thread: Discussion Enlarged Sparky-114 "
View Single Post
Old May 01, 2012, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by epoxyearl
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
11,038 Posts
Okay a single universal it is,at the engine.I'll check into one today.
If my machine shop can get that shaft properly centered into the crankshaft,and limit run-out to a couple thousandths at the engine end,that should suffice.

I looked at the flexibility issue from a different view point......that same lack of ridgity in the structure should also be tolerant of a little misalignment.

I used to install 440 Chrysler engines in Greenwich Cabin Cruisers 43' long,built of wood.The propellor shaft had a 5" dia. flange,which mated to the flange on the engine crankshaft.The engines were mounted on articulated mounts ,which allowed adjustment three ways.You could raise,lower,tilt or move fore and aft with those mounts.The flange to flange mating would be adjusted to a tight fit for a .002 feeler gauge,in any direction.
After a season's use,reinspection could reveal a shift of up to .012,without noticeable vibration.I assumed the shaft could tolerate that misalignment,in it's 9' length. My eventual solution was to install metal plates to prevent the engine mount foot from crushing the oak wooden beams the mounts sat on.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Airshows, and Tradition.