Thread: Discussion I can't see it!
View Single Post
Old Apr 29, 2012, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by dbaya
United States, CA, Union City
Joined Mar 2004
437 Posts
That Tree tunnel at the begining of the SVSS XC course is bad. I don't remember it being soo dense and long. Our team really got lucky to still have a flying plane.

We had some pretty decent altitude approaching the tree tunnel. I want to say between 2500 and 3000 feet. The head wind was pretty strong and I made the mistake of going for it. Normally we have the plane directly above the truck and we basically punch thru the tree tunnel. This way I get only fractions of a second when I loose sight of the plane due to branches across the top. This time the plane was to the left of the truck we probably took 10 to 15 second to get thru the tree tunnel and most of the time I did not see the plane. When we got out of the tree tunnel the planes was not where I expected it to be. My Spotter found the plane say 30 degrees forward and 20 degrees lower in the horizon. Even when my spotter pointed to the plane, I still did not have sight of it. I had to hand the radio off.

Tim I really like your Idea of a spotter being at the end of the Tree Tunnel. Some one will have to walk. In this case some pre-planing and looking before you jump kind of strategy, I think would be better. The #8 such a sweet simple plane.
dbaya is online now Find More Posts by dbaya