View Single Post
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Parchment, MI, U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
417 Posts
Hello all, just 'checking in'. I Google search led me to this thread, and I am very glad I found it, as it is the most useful info I have found yet about my quest for a vinyl cutter.

My search started when I decided I needed some graphic for a pair of warbirds: a Top Flite P-40 ARF and a Top Flite Corsair ARF. I was initially ready to 'contract them out', but then started looking into making my own.

My first thoughts were the "CriCut" series, but I quickly learned that one cannot create their own shapes/ designs and have the CriCut cut them out for you: ALL patterns are made from software 'cartridges' (simular to the old Atari and Commador games?), and while the patterns and designs can be manipulated to an extent: one cannot simply creat and image and/ or outline and expect the CriCut to work.

Which lead me to the Sillouette Cameo cutters, which supposedly sell for around $260 shipped, with software (and sometimes even a few accessories).

BUT, not entirely sold yet, decided do some research on it and found this thread: LOTS of good info here, THANKS to ALL who contributed.

One of the things that I read that the Cameo can do: one could print an image on your printer (after 'setting it up' with Cameo software), the printer would add 'registration' marks out side of the image, which the Cameo would later identify and be able to use to 'navigate' around the border of the image. In other words: the potential to make multi color nose art from a single sheet. Anyone try this yet?

The image below would be the first thing I would try: it is actually 'rudder art' for the P-40:
CorsairJock is offline Find More Posts by CorsairJock
Last edited by CorsairJock; Apr 28, 2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: adding image