View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by bob93447
Joined Sep 2006
635 Posts
My Seawind and I are currently separated by about 450 miles, so I cannot supply pictures for a few months. But what I did was pretty simple:

1) cut off the cage, leaving just the plywood that is glued to the foam as a baseplate
2) Reinforce the baseplate with a number of toothpicks covered in glue and inserted through holes drilled through the plywood into the foam. Reinforce the edge gluing of the ply base. When dry, level the surface. (This is an important step, even if you use the cage. Several have reported the plywood motor mount separating from the foam structure in flight. This will chew up the foam on top of the plane).
3) Cut a piece of balsa wood of sufficient thickness to allow the prop to spin freely in front of cowl. This will require a couple of steps of mounting and demounting the cowl.

4) When satisfied with the spacing, mount the motor. I typically use 2 screws of sufficient length that they go through the balsa into the plywood. The other two screws can be shorter. After mounting, remove the motor and use CA glue to harden the threads in the balsa.

Bob
bob93447 is offline Find More Posts by bob93447