View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:34 AM
Find More Posts by Doc Austin
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
18,589 Posts
You're going to get some blowback on these small servos unless you run them on 6 volts. The 85MG on the elevator (if that's what you're running) is fine on 5 volts, but on the ailerons a 65MG servo is getting a little marginal on that voltage. If they are high use servos, they are gonna crap out out you.

These 48" airplanes are getting to be so high performance that I believe we are getting marginal on the smaller sized servos. I change them out a little more often than I was before and sending them back for service. Usually the potentiometers will get scored from stalling, or the amplifiers weakened. This problem has almost gone away since switching to the Airboss 45 Elite ESC and it's onboard 6 volt BEC.

On the HS85MG, I have never had to send one back except for stripping the gears. I did have one with a bucketload of flights start to get sloppy, and I need to send that one back. Mostly the HS85MG as been utterly bulletproof in these planes, especially on 6 volts, which is why I love them.

The first Extra EXP I ever flew had a super cheap ESC in it. Even with new, high quality servos, everything stalled and blew back so badly that the plane was dangerous to fly. The problem was that cheap ESCs usually have a cheap BEC that doesn't put out enough current. We put a seperate 6 volt BEC on the plane and that transformed it.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin