Thread: Build Log F-86F Build
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
7,141 Posts
No need to worry about a "big mouth bass" intake. If I were to build something like that, they should ban me from this site. It will be scale, trust me!!

While I was waiting for some feed back, I read the whole JHH F-86 thread, lots of good info. In that it started back in 8-2-2005, there is quite a bit of out dated info. As far as power goes, I am leaning towards the top end. There is a HET 700-83-1445 on 10's that does well, 12.3lbs thrust @4.6Kw or the Leopard 4082-B-1250, 14.3lbs thrust@ 5.76Kw. A few others in between.

Just for the nuts of it, I checked out BVM, can't believe the price on there "small" F-86. did find that there 63"WS F-86, weighs about 17lbs, and they suggest from 12-17+ lbs of thrust. So I think I'm OK with the JetFan 90. I too, like the sound!!!

Thinking ahead, there canopy for the 63", will fit just fine. Theirs is 1:7.5 , mine comes out at 1:7.31 I hardly think .19% difference will matter. Will need the canopy to figure out the hatch area. Want to incorperate lips on sides of fuse for mounting hatch. thinking of a one-piece wing, should have plenty of room, and much easier.

Now, I need to get busy and cut final templates. Foam blocks where cut awhile back--at the time for a future project, guess this is it. Going to try out the elmers rubber cement to glue blocks together. Worked good on pink foam, I have some white stuff, 11/2lb density I will try first. ( Saw the glue thing on the T-38 thread) No drag on the hot wire, and very easy to sand. thanks, Mark
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake