: Build Log
Emma C Berry Sloop Edition
View Single Post
Apr 15, 2012
, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
Easter's over and so is Tax Time. However the grass continues to grow. Very little time spent modeling....
The caprail as provided in the kit was 1/32" thick plywood that was supposed to overhang the inside and outside of the bulwark 1/16". I didn't think plywood would shrink that so much but by the time I sanded the rough cut stampings it was way too narrow. I used the kit parts for patterns and made new pieces out of basswood. These were glued (Elmers) and pinned in place and allowed to dry over night. I masked off the yellow strip again and painted several more coats in an effort to cover the red primer.
Next up will be the coamings and some of the deck features. jda
View all Images in thread
Kit parts on bench, wider caprail on model
Original and replacement stern parts
Drill hole, insert pin, align part. Remove part, apply glue and insert pins again.
Finished. Will apply 2 coats of thinned varnish and then paint green.