Thread: Discussion FMS Dassault Alpha Jet - 70mm
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Find More Posts by Prowler901
USA, NY, Amsterdam
Joined Jun 2007
1,230 Posts
Maiden Success!!!

I competed assembly during the week (not that it's real hard ). However I added two spars between the center section and the outer wing panels. A simple glue joint just makes me nervous. I took the fan out and balanced it. She runs real smooth now. I did a run up with my watt meter to check the power plant. I don't recall the numbers right now, but I was pleased with what I saw. And, the 'jet blast' was blowing things down across the room. Then last night I got the CG all set at 178mm. The weather report for the morning was for calm winds. Perfect day for an early morning maiden.

I did a hand launch because I don't have a decent field to take off from. Winds were 2-3 knots. She left my hand at a good up angle, but she was a bit squirrely until speed built up. I managed to keep the wings level enough and she climbed out beautifully. There's nothing quite like the feeling on that first climb out. Acceleration was decent enough. As others have reported, she is no speed demon. But, the speed is nice and scale and low passes were really cool to watch. I flew most of the time between 50-90% throttle. Handling is crisp. The rolls are very clean with little to no loss in altitude. Approach to landing was nice and easy. She sets up in a glide real well. But, you do have to keep some power on as she'll slow down pretty quick. I only flew for 3 minutes because I was only using a 2200mah 4s. It is a 20c battery and was warm when removed. I'd recommend not using a 20c battery at all. A 30c will be much better. I have one but the winds started picking up. And, I don't like to push my luck on maiden days. But, I'm really psyched. She was a real blast to fly. $100 well spent.

More fun to be had!

Regards,
Todd
Prowler901 is offline Find More Posts by Prowler901