View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,371 Posts
The curved Links being used for fine tuning of the lengths sounds good to me.

However, I'd rather at least try fine tuning using CW and CCW threads on different ends of the Links. This way, we'd never be forced to pop off a Link and be required to turn it a full circle in attempt to get closer to "zero". With CW and CCW threads on opposite ends of the Links, we could simply rotate the middle metal part with pliers as exactly required while the Link is still on the heli. If there will be a problem of the Link twisting loose due to vibration (etc.), just apply some kind of anti-tamper stuff (a little dab of clean, easy to remove/pliable adhesive) to both ends of the Links.

I'm definitely not a Strength and Materials type of person and don't want to take the time to learn the subject at the moment, so I took a stiff paper clip and experimented bending different portions of it. I found it took considerably more force to flex the straight part even a little, than it did to squeeze together the two opposing sides of the U shape. It might have something to do with the curved part of the U functioning as the fulcrum of a lever, in other words "inch"-ounces of force being applied rather than ounces?

I quickly read the posts in the 3 new different Blade 130 threads, and someone mentioned and made me remember about Z-Bends being used in other products. It wouldn't take much imagination to recognize that Z-Bends would also allow fine tuning of the Links for adjustments requiring less than complete 360* Link turns. Also, it wouldn't take much imagination to recognize for the same reason that a Z-Bend allows easier adjustment of the "length" than a straight Link, a Z-Bend would also allow easier "compression" bending of the length than a straight Link.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Apr 12, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added inch-ounces comment