Thread: Discussion Over 3,000 Maps Locations!
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Andy2No
NaN
Manchester, UK
Joined Nov 2005
3,877 Posts
Well, I'm pleased to see my club is on there - I added it a while ago but I didn't think it had worked. However, there are some real problems with the map given by the "Direct Link to this place" on Tools:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/maps....Cfield&id=1497

1) It's zoomed out to show the whole of the UK and a good chunk of the north end of Europe. Our catchment area really isn't that big. If they have to drive more than 20 miles, they'll probably go to a different club. If they have to cross the English Channel, they're not going to be interested at all.

2) If I zoom in, it doesn't take me to the field, it takes me somewhere I've never been, many miles away (looks nice... must go there some time).

3) Some of the more useful Google map controls are missing - I don't see a scale bar, or the icon for getting a link for the map view you're currently seeing, so you can give it to someone else.

I guess this is Google's fault, but is there something we can do about it? I'd like the map link to have our club marker in the middle, and for it to be zoomed to show no more than about 15 miles in each direction.

Here's a fun game - click the link above, then close the pop-up box with the blurb I typed about it, then see if you can actually find the club field, using just the pan and zoom controls on the map.
Andy2No is offline Find More Posts by Andy2No