View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Find More Posts by sgbfly
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
450 V2 Flybarless Conversion Videos

Hi Everyone, I've put together a video series describing the conversion of my HK-450GT to Flybarless. The videos are aimed at those considering their first FBL project and the videos are recorded in a build-along style.

Part 1 = Introduction

This is the first part of a 5 part video series describing the conversion of a HK-450GT (Align V2) helicopter to flybarless using a RJX type FBL head and the Tarot ZYX 3-axis gyro. This video is not technical and the actual build begins in part 2 where I will construct the rotor head.

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 1 - Introduction (6 min 18 sec)

Part 2 = Building A RJX type flybarless rotor head For A Trex 450

A detailed bolt by bolt build video of a Hobbyking RJX like flybarless rotor head (Product ID: DMDL-450FBL) for a 450 sized helicopter. The head will be used on a HK-450GT which is an Align 450 v2 clone. I'm sorry this video is so long & I'll try to improve and condense the following setup vids. That said, this video is ideal for someone to follow along as they build their FBL rotor head! (see notes below)

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 2 - Building The RJX Clone Head (50 min 24 sec)

Additional Parts Required:

1) Main shaft and fixing bolts (or recycle the one currently on the helicopter or Align HS1280T for a V2 conversion)
2) 450 Pro Damper Rubbers (I use Leadershobby Product # 9394001225892) or Align part HS1291
3) Swashplate (Recycle existing or I used Leaderhobby # 9394001224608)

Optional Parts

1) Genuine RJX swashlocker arms, Hobbyking ID: HN70010 (These are a better fit to most swashplate ball linkages)
2) Pro Feathering Shaft, Hobbyking ID: GT450pro-143 (Better tolerances & screws than the one in the kit)
3) Tarot adjustable linkages (TL2639) - Great for fine tuning blade track & pitch

Tools Required

1) 1.5mm Allen Key (*2)
2) Ball Link Pliers
3) 4mm Hex driver
4) Vice (optional or something to press in interference fit bearings)

Sundries

1) Bearing or general purpose grease (for thrust bearings)
2) Silicone grease for the damper rubbers
3) Medium Threadlock
4) Stud-lock (optional for seating grip bearings)
5) Multi purpose oil (optional for pre-lubing bearings - I use Labelle 107)

Part 3 = Mechanical Installation

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 3 - Installing The Servos FBL Rotor Head and Gyro (24 min 41 sec)

To complete this step you will need:

- Tarot zyx gyro, flybarless rotor-head and suitable cyclic servos (preferably digital and good quality)
- 1.5mm Allen Key (Hex key)
- Phillips #0 screwdriver
- Ball link Pliers
- Medium threadlock
- Cable ties

Optional Parts used:

- Align HS1074T Ball Links
- Hobbyking peel-n-stick foam tape (4mm) PRODUCT ID: ST-FOAM-DB
- CA glue and or hot melt glue (to complement the cable ties in wire tidying)

Part 4 = Installing the software and setting up the Tarot ZYX

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 4 - Radio and Software Setup (43 min 53 sec)

Part 4 of the video series describing the conversion of a HK-450GT to flybarless. This part looks at radio settings and software setup. I decided to use John's excellent programming utility (www.fbl.net.nz) as it is more polished than the original Tarot version. John has worked hard to update, fix bugs and improve reliability over and above what Tarot have done with their version. I use a Turnigy 9x as the radio but the settings should translate to any programmable radio. A few other points to mention.

1) I had to split this video so my opening comment about having a maiden flight ready heli at the start of the vid is untrue. Part 5, which is to a finish, will follow within a day or so!
2) The sound sync is lost slightly during the scenes recording the desktop on the laptop.

Part 5 = Final Setup

HK-450GT Flybarless Conversion - pt 5 - Final Setup (33 min 22 sec)

In this video I refine the mechanical and software setup. The video demonstrates levelling the swashplate, setting the pitch range and setting the blade deflections. There is also some shake down testing and blade tracking adjustment followed by a look at the some of the advanced software tuning.

To complete this step some cable ties, snips (or scissors) and a pitch gauge will be required.

I hope this is a useful resource to those interested

Simon

ps. The series may well swell to 7 parts total as I will have a before and after flight video
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Last edited by sgbfly; May 02, 2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Adding the next part