Old Apr 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by kapteinkuk
Quad Whisperer
Joined Jul 2008
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
Hi Rolf,
Thanks for the great ESC performance data! It is certainly easy to see the differences between the firmwares.
Al from Hoverfly started yet another thread on this here. Your insights and repeatable testing data would be an asset there too. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620724
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index
He tests the response of ESC+motor, I only test the response of the ESC alone because that was harder to judge by just looking and testing things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonk View Post
Hi, kapteinkuk! Incidentally, what is the peak of that current when scaled from shunt voltage to actual Amperes? Cheers
The shunt is 0.1 Ohm, the peak is close to 6A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladz View Post
Edit: in case of good source with low impedance this peak can fry coils.
The coils+stator have a large thermal mass, so I do not think that is an issue.

But it is of course wise to increase the rating of the ESC, both because the increased peak currents and extra heat generated due to the increased PWM frequency.

In my opinion I think the reason for the input filter is to avoid large peak current. I previously thought that the filter was to avoid rapid acceleration of the motor causing loss of synchronization.

Just now I have a large HK Donkey motor running on my table, slowly and silently. I am happy that the annoying 8 kHz whine is gone!
kapteinkuk is offline Find More Posts by kapteinkuk