View Single Post
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
Elisecat is offline
Find More Posts by Elisecat
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by 19000rpm View Post
I maidened it today. Nice little bird. Not too exciting, all stock, but it flew as advertised. Maybe 35mph. Is was hard to tell exactly because of the variable breeze.

Flown with a DX7 (not DX7s). The mapping had to be changed as per the Any Link instructions as did the reversing on the controls.

Stock battery and location held down with a bit of velcro. The velcro was the only thing I added. I left the pilot out for now.

I used the LG even though I hand launched it just to see how it handled the weight and air resistance. It did just fine.

I underhand launched it WOT (and kept it there for most of the flight) into a 5-10 variable breeze. It went straight as an arrow. Looped and rolled and looped and rolled. It was very stable considering the variable conditions. I detected no hint of either tail or nose heaviness using the 70mm CG.

What I found the most interesting was that it didn't need any trim it at all. Narry a click.

The only things I wished for was a symetrical airfoil and another 10-15mph. Those would be improvements, not neccessities, IMHO.

I did a maiden on Tuesday.

Flown with a DX6i and Anylink (after I somehow lost the cable for the Anylink like an idiot, but my LHS hooked me up...)

I used a Hyperion 2S with the UMX connector and an adapter for power.

I went thru an exhaustive (it felt that way anyway) effort to check the CG and it balanced almost exactly at 70mm with the Hyperion 240 all the way forward.

Hand launched it at about 1/2-3/4 throttle and it went straight up and straight into the ground.. Luckily, it was over some soft, thick grass. Essentially no damage except two small, hairline cracks in the foam leading from the batt compartment towards the nose. Didn't even really crumple the nose at all.

Thanks to everyone here, I brought along a dime and taped it in as far forward in the batt tray as I could. Tried again, and BOOM! It flew, essentially, perfectly.
I dialed in down trim on the elevator as I was worried about what is stated above but I was able to dial all of it out and all trims were centered at the end of the flight.

I only flew one batt as I did not want to worsen the cracks. I pumped 151mAh back into the cell after a 3 min flight. Could go a little longer on flight time but not much.

Landing was a bit rough too as it came in pretty hot. Need to bleed off quite a bit of speed to get a gentle landing.

I'm impressed for the most part. Still need to tweak it a bit. Adding the dime doesn't kill things but I was certainly disappointed that it went straight up and then into the ground when I THOUGHT I had it set up right per the instructions.

I can weigh my Hyp 240 if you want that info. It is the stock one you can buy with the covering stripped off to lower the weight.
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat
Reply With Quote