View Single Post
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by sj3cub
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfish67 View Post
Finally maiden my Super Cub yesterday. Pretty much stock with an E-flite 32, 3300 4S 45c Thunderpower, Hobby Wing 80 amp pro, and all Hitec metal gear servos. I did change tires and use Hangar 9 1/4 scale cub tires to give more of a tundra tire look. I also changed the tail wheel to a Dubro 40. Maiden flight was a little tense on take off. Even at only 3/4 throttle, she wanted to roll a little at take off. Full throttle won't ever be needed for scale take offs. She does not like slow turns. You need to keep the power on when turning or she will want to drop a wing and stall. Now I see what has put other flyers in the ground when turning slowly. She flies a lot like my E-flite Beaver. She's definitely not a trainer. Once trimmed out, she flies really well. Only thing left is to find a 1/6 or 1/7 scale pilot for her.
Nice looking PA-18 flynfish. I just wish they flew even remotely close to what a scale PA-18 flies like. They definitely hit a home run on looks (for the most part anyway) but a Cub that has to be flown like a F-16 is a MAJOR turnoff. Nothing scale about that what so ever. And then to put floats on it, yea its going to need vortex generators, slots and slats, a Robertson Stol kit and who knows what else to get it to fly without coming down like a lead balloon . There's a good reason Horizon has not released floats for it yet. They need to send it back to R&D so it can be put on a major Diet. OK, I'm done with my frustration rant.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub