View Single Post
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by raymer
Japan, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokosuka
Joined Mar 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
New (but old) flyer self-introduction

I was a nitro control line flyer as a teen and tried to teach myself R/C on self built nitros back then but only crashed a lot and finally had to sell my equipment (Futaba 6 channel) to pay debts. I've been busy with life for about 25 years (coincidentally, I will celebrate my 25th wedding anniversary this year) :-) but I decided to get back into R/C planes recently when I saw how much electronics have come down in price. This time I will go electric and I have ordered the DX5e / Phoenix simulator combo from HobbyKing.

My biggest challenge is that I live in Japan permanently so no AMA clubs around. I do speak Japanese pretty well so I will try to find a Japanese club but so far I don't see any around my area. (although it seems that if I drive 90 or 120 min north-west to the Shonan area clubs abound). I'm in Yokosuka, just south-west of the giant megalopolis of Tokyo/Yokohama and there are not many big fields around. However I have found some farmland about 30 min south in this peninsula that may become my flight area. Wind is a problem here but there are a few calm days ever now and then. I may go micro and indoor if necessary but I would prefer to get a nice big trainer like the Bixler or a variant.

I'm posting this big rant on the off chance that there is another soul in Japan, hopefully in Kanagawa-ken, who also has the bug for planes. It's always more fun with a buddy. I really appreciate this forum. It has already helped immensely. Best regards to all!

-Ray Mercer
Yokosuka, Japan
raymer is offline Find More Posts by raymer