: Build Log
Emma C Berry Sloop Edition
View Single Post
Mar 31, 2012
, 07:50 PM
Joined Apr 2006
Great day to model...... the bulwarks got sprayed gray, started the hole for the bowsprit and took the first step towards converting the schooner to a sloop.
In spraying acrylics I find it helpful to have a jar of thinner near at hand as I always seem to clog the nozzle with the acrylic paint. No big deal when I can just unscrew the paint jar and replace it with the thinner. Run a little thinner through the air brush and reverse the process and I'm good to go again. Did this twice while spraying the bulwarks.
You will see the replacement king plank that I made from cherry and the plywood one provided in the kit. As a sloop, I had to move the mast back apprx. 5/8". This distance was derived from the plan in the Mystic Seaport restoration project booklet. The king plank and the two adjoining planks were thicker than the piece of plywood provided. The remaining planking will be 1/32" cherry just under 1/4" wide.
View all Images in thread
I liked the Frog Tape. Just used it for the first time. The masking was just to keep paint off the deck as I will be gluing cherry strips down.
Not easy to press the shutter and the spray paint at the same time.
Note the difference in length of the king planks
Drilling a new hole for the mast splintered the plywood deck. Good thing the king plank covered it up.
Decking has been prestained, king plank has not.