View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by sia100
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
439 Posts
Jasper, I feel ya. I've been flying my heli FPV for years, and I still get the jitters when I go under the hood. I think having someone there to watch out for others, keep and eye on things LOS, and just providing moral support, is a good idea. Especially the first few times out.

I have to echo the others suggestions of planning to crash a few times. Then you are lucky if you don't! Heli crashes are expensive and timely. I built an RCExploere DIY tricopter to fly FPV with, in addition to the heli, because one of its major benefits is that is designed to crash with minimal damage and minimal cost to repair. Things just pop off instead of breaking. And if something breaks, it will likely be a $1 prop, or a $1.50 wooden arm stick you can pick up at Hobby Lobby.

Another thing that can sometimes make it a little easier to transition to FPV is to use an external monitor vs. goggles. My main setup is Headplay goggles. But I also have a 21" battery powered monitor setup that lets me switch back and forth a lot between LOS and FPV without having to put on and take off goggles (a 10" LCD would do the trick, though). Sometimes that can be a good thing, sometimes bad. But if going "under the hood" with the goggles is a little scary at first, using a regular monitor can be a good stepping stone.

Also, you mentioned something about Gary going so high on his first time out (nice first flight, btw Gary!). I actually feel like about 100' of altitude is better for the first few FPV flights than staying close to the ground. It may sound and feel counter-intuitive at first, but once you get some distance between you and the ground, you feel more free to yank the sticks around a lot and get a feel for the way the craft is behaving. Close to the ground, you can't really do that and not expect to hit something.

One last thing: Flight sims. Any type of RC sim will do. I haven't looked at your posts to see if that is something you're already doing, so forgive me if you are. But simulation practice really does a lot for motor memory development and orientation. I went whole hog several years ago and got Realflight. I recommend it.

I hope you find some of this information helpful. Good luck!

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100